Thursday, December 24, 2009

Progression turned Fartlek Run

The below was written from a friend of ours in response to our invitation to her for Christmas dinner...

howdi.. hmmm... volunteering at animal shelter..and then...i tend to be very quiet for holiday.. i walk the streets of a cityalone and think ..it is a very quiet and peaceful time for me..and i will probably get a basket for my neighbor and sit with her fora while.. she is really poor. thank you for the offer though..





1:35 - about 12 miles.
Couldn't take another day on the mill so I headed out to the Blue Ridge Parkway that has been closed for almost a week now. Aside from the ice in the tracks it wasn't too bad for training. Wanted this to be a nice progression, but due to the arbitrary changes in effort needed to stay injury free this turned into a very enjoyable Fartlek. I was feeling very well and then at the very end, with about 5 minutes left I just bonked. I think I actually hit a really bad sugar low. This came out of no where; I had been sipping garorade the whole way. I could hardly run, got very warm with the sweats and legs felt very shaky. Met Maureen at the car and stopped at the closest store where I got a Ginger Ale. Felt better and am feeling normal now. I have some tightness and a little soreness in my hips when I'm NOT running. Everything else feels good.

2 comments:

  1. Any thought now as to what would have caused that? Diet the day before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right on GZ; diet the day before. I had a good lunch Wed. but my dinner was much more Belgain liquid than solid. I'm sure that was the major contribution to the bonk.

    ReplyDelete